Monday, October 4, 2010

BP4_Discovering Web 2.0 Tools

What is a wiki? I used to think it was just an oddly named website full of information from potentially dubious origins. I now know that a wiki is a powerful web 2.0 tool that can be leveraged to connect project members in one central location.

This transformation of thought occurred for me three years ago. I was asked to lead my school’s reaccreditation required by our independent school association. Somehow I had to monitor the writing, review, editing and publishing of a twelve-section, 250-page document collectively written by every employee of the school. Looking through files from the previous reaccreditation seven years earlier, I found folder after folder of countless Word documents. As committees prepared their assigned section, each member submitted a document that was combined with the rest. This committee file went through at least five iterations before being added to the master document. Another round of six revisions and the final product was submitted for approval. I knew there had to be a better way.


Through a listserv, I discovered the world of wikis. And then because of several glowing recommendations, PBWorks. The payoff was instantaneous. I created an account, set up the wiki structure, and taught the faculty how to use it. I watched with pride as pages filled with content and comments. Peer review was as simple as sharing a link. Writers could respond to questions within the document. I could compare or roll back to earlier versions. The skeptic in me saved a local version each week, but this certainly was not necessary.

When all was said and done, I asked for some feedback on the experience. Here are the highlights from the responses.
  • Many individuals can work on the same document at the same time.
  • Content is instantly accessible from any device that connects to the Internet.
  • Everyone on the team can track progress in real-time.
  • No need to worry about finding the most recent version of a file.
  • Resources and links are a click away.
  • Brainstorming lists can be generated virtually.
  • Collaboration can occur at a natural pace based on the availability of those involved.
  • Subscribers can receive update notifications.

 I now administer five wikis for parent association, faculty and Board of Trustees committees. I rest easy knowing that each group is working efficiently and effectively because of a funny little word, the wiki.

1 comment:

  1. This certainly sounds well worth looking into. I am glad you shared this on your blog. Now I will have to go try it out! -Pat

    ReplyDelete