Sunday, October 10, 2010

BP5_Issuu.com

I have read magazines on Issuu.com, but never gave a second thought to the fact that:
  • Issuu is a searchable library of countless periodicals and books.
  • Issuu is a powerful publishing tool.
Until now, Issuu was just another graphic interface that would appear on the screen when I clicked a link. I would read whatever article or issue popped up and then I would navigate away from the site. I had no idea of the depth of material that is published through Issuu. Browsing the library, I found magazines covering Norwegian architecture, InDesign tutorials, and graphic design to name a few. Seems I could spend endless hours digging through all the offerings. The sidebar containing related publications is a dangerous place.


Back on topic - How will this site improve the work that I do? I’ve been looking for a way to e-publish Spark, the bi-annual magazine published by my school. Each of the eight issues we have generated are available as a PDF download at www.ucds.org/spark. Right click, download, scroll through the pages with Acrobat Reader or Preview=boring.


Embed issues on webpages, flip through pages of issues, subscribe to publishers, save everything in your own library=super cool! If you can make a PDF(Macs make it very easy with the print function, in case you didn’t know), you can publish online. Simple as that. 



And for the stats lovers, check this out - 250,000 new publications each month viewed by 33 million readers.

Here's sample of a Spark issue that was given the Issuu.com treatment...

No comments:

Post a Comment