Sunday, October 3, 2010

W1 Reading

This was my first week delving into my AR project. While the focus has yet to be narrowed down, I have a general idea regarding curriculum software and web-based curriculum.


Going on the premise that first impressions matter most, I decided to begin by investigating the design and development of the graphic user interface or GUI. We’re all familiar with them whether we realize it or not. They are ubiquitous: the Google home page or the window that I’m in right now, Microsoft Word.  Someone or some group of people designed the layout, picked the colors, created the icons, and determined the functionality of every element visible to the user.

I started by reading a little history. Here’s an excerpt…

“While ease of use is a worthwhile goal, it doesn’t get to the heart of the matter. Moreover, it’s well known that many network operators hate the supposedly easy-to-use, mouse driven interfaces on today’s products.”

Herman, James (August 1995). Let’s Focus on Content, Not GUIs. Business Communications Review, 52-55.

Good thing the network operators didn’t win out.

I managed to find several promising books that cover this realm, but found little in the way of articles. I’m hopeful that my first meeting with my AR mentor will help improve my search skills. I’m just becoming familiar with EBSCO Host and the like.

My next AR reading blog post will be more robust.

No comments:

Post a Comment